Halloween is rapidly approaching, and you may be scrambling to put together costumes for your two- and four-legged children, hide the candy so it’s not all eaten before October 31, and deck your home with the spookiest decorations. In the midst of all this hubbub, your furry pal may run into trouble. Halloween is when mischief is afoot, and many pets discover danger. As this eerie holiday approaches, check out the following cautionary tales to help keep your pet safe during Halloween. 

Freya’s frightening fiasco

Freya was a gorgeous long-haired cat—and she knew it— so she couldn’t fathom why her owners were cramming her into an ill-fitting lion costume. She was already the beautiful queen of her domain—why was a pet costume needed to illustrate that point? Apparently, though, Halloween had arrived, that obnoxious holiday with too much shrieking, too many children, and too much fun for Freya’s liking.

As Freya’s family finished hanging their decorations, their doorbell rang. 

“Oh, great. It begins,” muttered Freya. She knew she was expected to pose with her family—who were outfitted in zebra costumes—to delight the neighborhood. She sauntered close to the front door in her poorly fitted lion costume, when a ruckus broke out.

She heard a chorus of deep woofs, followed by claws skittering along the tile. Freya saw all her nine lives flash before her eyes when a hellhound of monstrous proportions galloped into view.

Sure that Cerberus had escaped Hades’ control, Freya was horrified to see an enormous three-headed dog bearing down on her. Bolting blindly, Freya slipped between her humans’ legs out the front door. During her mad dash, her ill-fitting costume shifted, slid over her eyes and nose, and began to tighten around her neck. In a panic, Freya continued her headlong escape, until she ran directly into a prickly bush, and was snagged by her luxurious mane. Freya began caterwauling in terror. Fortunately, a Good Samaritan picked up this poor kitty and took her to the nearby Mill Creek Animal Hospital, where her wounds were cared for, and she was scanned for a microchip. Through the power of pet microchipping, Freya was reunited with her family.

Elvis’ howling bad time

Elvis the hound dog was always the life of the party, despite his hangdog expression. Halloween was one of his favorite holidays, partly because he loved all things spooky and creepy, but mostly because the holiday was an opportunity for him to exercise his vocal cords more than usual. His family always planned a Halloween block party, and although this year’s celebration would be restricted to families socializing on their front lawns from afar, Elvis couldn’t wait to slip into his figurative blue suede shoes and boogie—and howl—along with his friends and family. 

As families gathered on their lawns, Elvis saw his chance to play a Halloween prank. He chomped into an unattended glow stick and darted forward, his teeth bared in an eerie grin. But, suddenly, he was struck by a horrible taste on his tongue, and he began drooling excessively. The drool that puddled on the ground had a faint shine from the glow stick, and his owners panicked that their pooch may have ingested a toxic substance. They called the ASPCA’s Poison Control Center and sighed in relief to learn that glow sticks are not truly toxic, but can lead to drooling, vomiting, skin irritation, and diarrhea.

Determined to keep Elvis out of more mischief, his family enclosed the naughty hound in the back bedroom. Bored with his prison, Elvis decided to use his nose to find some fun, but he tracked down something better—a Halloween candy stash. Elvis’ owner had forgotten she had hidden candy from her children in that bedroom, and her secret hiding place was no match for the hound’s nose. Elvis rooted out his prize, and gobbled up the miniature chocolates, chewing gum, and sugar-free candies with gusto.

Seconds after his binge, the door swung open—Elvis’ owner had come to give her dog a treat for remaining calm and quiet. However, Elvis had already chowed down on the Halloween candy, wrappers and all. Deciding against calling ASPCA’s Poison Control Center for the second time that night, Elvis’ family rushed him to the nearest emergency veterinary hospital, where they immediately induced Elvis to vomit his ill-gotten gains. Thus ended Elvis’ Halloween night. 

Pet Halloween safety lessons learned

These two pets illustrate that plenty of pet Halloween hazards lie in wait to harm your furry pal. Learn from their mistakes, and help your four-legged friend practice pet Halloween safety by avoiding the following issues:

  • Poor-fitting costumes
  • Halloween candy 
  • Decoration ingestion
  • Escape without ID
  • Open, unattended doors

Many situations can go amiss without proper planning and prevention. Prepare for Halloween, and your holiday will be a howling good time for you and your pet. 

However, if the spooky season proves too much for your furry pal, never fear—your Mill Creek Animal Hospital team is here. Give us a call to schedule an appointment if your pet gets into too much Halloween mischief.